Attending a networking event takes time and often includes a cost, so after a networking event it is imperative to follow up the contacts that you have met. The following five points will help to ensure that you get the most out of your networking events.
1. Ensure that you take the time to input details from the business cards that you have collected. Even if a person isn't a potential sales prospect, they could still be a good connection to have in your network e.g referral source or industry expert
2. Add a note on your database that is unique about the person that you met, ensuring that when you follow up with them, you will have a personal reminder of what you talked about and any other points that are unique to them.
3. If you want to build a relationship with a person that you have met, follow up with an individual email or telephone call. Don't make the assumption that the person will automatically remember you; remind them of where and when you met and use the unique fact that you noted down when adding the person's details to your database (this could be a personal detail about them or a subject you discussed).
4. Connect with a new contact on Social Media.
5. Share some helpful content with them. Regularly sharing information of value after meeting someone, encourages trust and helps to naturally build a solid relationship.